Our StaffLacy Frye
Paul was speaking of a Great Door of Opportunity that was open for him to minister the Gospel. 2008 will mark 142 years of service to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. With a deep sense of gratitude and humility we look back upon the souls that have been saved, our Mission's Program expanding, and the improvements to our building and grounds. We, too, have a Great Door of Opportunity open for us in the coming years. Opportunities to Evangelize the lost, Edify the Believers, and Expand our Mission Program even further. May we as a Church Family commit ourselves to being used of Christ to step through the Door of Service opened before us.
In early 1800 our forefathers built a Church known as Zion Christian Church. The land for the first Church was given by John Dickens and wife, Clerenda; John D. Wicker and wife, Delitha, and Purdence Ellington. September 3, 1887, this deed was recorded in Pittsboro, NC.
The first Church was a small log building of raw material. It faced south, had only one door, and wooden windows.
The second Church was a small frame building. The benches in this Church were made of heart pine and were hand dressed; the Church was minus a pulpit. This Church was used until approximately 1892. Then the second frame Church was erected farther south and nearer the road under the supervision of Mr. Bob Walker. This new building was our first to have a steeple. Records show this is the same bell and steeple that we use today.
In 1928, Zion Church was moved across the road, and turned around to face the cemetery. In 1931, four Sunday School Class rooms were built. In 1949, another class room was added. In 1953, we bought an organ, installed new windows, and underpinned the Church. In 1956, we built six new Sunday School rooms, dug a well, installed two bathrooms, and installed "memorial" windows. In 1964, we built a parsonage located on Zion Church Road.
G.R. Underwood is the founder of the Memorial Day service at Zion, the first service occurring approximately in the year 1893. These services were held on Saturday until approximately 1937, when they were changed to Sunday.
On February 6, 1937, we voted not to join the Congregational Christian Church, but to remain as Zion Christian Church.
An inspiring and impressive service of ordination was held at Zion on March 25, 1945. R. Eugene Tally and Clay Farrell were duly ordained ministers of the Gospel. Regularly ordained ministers taking part in the service included the following: C. C. Wheeler, William F. Hancock, M. Luther Hux, Ernest Hancock, George M. Tally, J.E. Franks , C.T. Gray, E. K. Heatherly, and J.L. Mann.
In 1953, we had our first Bible School under the leadership of Pastor W. C. Farrell.
In May 1966, Zion Church observed their 100TH Anniversary with an all day service on our annual Memorial Day. In March of 1967, two new Sunday school rooms were built. These rooms were also used as the Fellowship Hall. In 1969, Zion Christian Church called their first full time pastor, Rev. Egbert Craven, Jr. In October 1971, two acres of land were purchased from Holt heirs for future use and expansion. At the same time the Church was painted on the inside, and wall to wall carpet was installed.
In November 1971, Rev. Craven gave his resignation to be effective the end of the year. In December 1971, the Pulpit Committee contacted Dr. G. Carl Green to serve as Interim Pastor beginning January 1, 1972, until a full time Pastor could be called. At the same time Rev. W. C. Farrell agreed to conduct our Mid-Week prayer service and to be available for Pastoral Counseling. Also in January 1972, a trust fund was set up for the up-keep of the cemetery and grounds. In February 1972, the Church purchased our first Hammond Organ. In July 1972, the Rev. Don Sweitzer assumed his duties as Pastor of Zion Christian Church. In November 1972, Mr. James E. Ammons, Sr. gave to the Church approximately one acre of land for future use of the cemetery.
In 1974, the Church voted to repair the front of the Church, add a porch, and install a new fiberglass steeple. In January, 1977, work was started on the renovation of the sanctuary. New pews and pulpit furniture were donated in memory or honor of certain individuals by different Church families. On Memorial Day, 1977, we dedicated the remodeled sanctuary. In July, 1977, Pastor Don Sweitzer tendered his resignation as pastor. Rev. Gerald Priest served as interim pastor while the Church sought a new one.
In February, 1978, the Church issued a call to Rev. Steve Johnson to become our new pastor. Rev. Johnson accepted this call and assumed his duties in March, 1978.
In 1983, the Church parking lot was paved, the grounds and cemetery were landscaped, and the choir produced an record. In April 1984, we added a bathroom addition. In 1985, a new piano was purchased. In 1989, a new Fellowship Hall with a kitchen, a baptistery, and two additional Sunday school rooms were added.